|Sunday, October 29-Friday Nov 3, 2017||closed||$2,000.00||Join waiting list|
Join us for an incredible week of fine woodworking in the beautiful woods of the IDAHO PANHANDLE! We are coming across the country to teach our famed Purely Post & Beam Class to a select group of would-be timber framers. We are working in conjunction with Jesse and Alyssa of the blog Pure Living for Life to help them build their home. We start with raw lumber and in five days cut and raise a 36 x 36-foot 2-1/2-story timber frame. Participants need a complete set of tools and need to come prepared to participate in the project.
In this Purely Post & Beam Class you will have the opportunity to:
- learn how to read and understand a set of working cut sheets and building plans
- perfect tool maintenance and sharpening techniques
- lay out through and blind mortise and tenons, wedged half and full-dovetails, scarf joints
- lay out mortise, thru-tenon, shelf-tenon, dovetail, and lap joints
- cut a variety of joints using hand tools and power tools
- learn the engineering that will allow you to modify the structural plans you receive in the class or create new structural plans based on your design (per the latest National Design Specifications referenced by the International Residential Code)
- assemble and raise a structure using a variety of techniques from man power, to block and tackle as well as a crane.
- each participant will receive a full set of cut sheets for this building which enables you to cut it again.
Throughout the class, we will discuss techniques for enclosing and insulating timber frame structures, foundation styles, siding, roofing and general weatherizing materials, wood selection, and how best to finish the timbers.
The $2000 non-refundable registration fee holds a place for one person in the class. This class will be held regardless of weather and there are no refunds available for cancellations.
If you are travelling to the Panhandle of Idaho from away, like we are, you will need accommodations during the week. Check out this comprehensive list we have put together.
In order to get the full, hands-on experience of the class, you will need a set of tools. We have two tool kits available for those in need and we will deliver them to the site for you (delivery to the site is included in these prices). If you already have the tools be sure to bring, at minimum, everything featured in the Basic Timber Frame Tool Kit.
Basic Timber Frame Tool Kit
Timber Frame Tool Kit
Timber framing is a physical activity that requires a degree of stamina and strength, those attending will be participating in every aspect of the cutting and assembly process. Attendees need to determine their own strength capacity and stamina to prevent injury. We will take every precaution to ensure safety, however students attending this class are required to sign both a Liability Waiver for injury as well as a likeness release for both Pure Living For Life and Shelter Institute to use photos and video footage as they see fit. Registration for this class is now open it will close when the class reaches a maximum capacity of 16 people.
Shelter reserves the right to cancel this class if it does not meet the minimum enrollment of 16 people. If this happens we will issue a full refund to anyone who made a payment for this class. If you are registering 2 or more people, please include their names, phone numbers, e-mail & mailing addresses (if different from yours) in the Notes section as you checkout.